Monday, September 22, 2008

Birthday dinner...Old Family Favorite

Well I made birthday Dinner for Jayme yesterday. It is the one thing I like to do for each of the kids on their birthday. I ask them for what they want for dinner and dessert. I usually do it on Sunday when we are all together. I was semi successful yesterday. I had to teach RS so I was a bit stressed as usual. So I tried to prepare as much ahead as possible...Big mistake! Jayme requested Chicken Rolls and Apple pie. But she would be happy if all she got was pie! My kids "love" my apple pie.
So I thought I would prep the apples early and freeze them and make the crusts on Saturday. Well last week I faithfully peeled, sliced and seasoned the apples. put them in freezer bags and into the freezer. I noticed that they were a bit on the mushy side, but thought it would be okay. I used the apples we pick out at Jossy Farms. They weren't my usual Granny smith, but I they were green! LOL. So Saturday I made and rolled out the crusts, put them in the fridge and got the apples out to thaw. I noticed they were mushier. (not bored yet are you?) So I thought I would purchase a few granny smiths to throw in to have a not complete mush. I went to Winco and they were $1.98 a lbs yikes! needless to say it was 4 dollars for 4 apples. I didn't do it. So I got up Sunday, mushier still! So I finished my lesson plan and made the roll dough for the chicken rolls. went and read my lesson again, and then went in and assembled the chicken rolls to raise while we were at church. I then went on to shower and go teach my lesson.
It went okay I guess. I wish I didn't get so nervous and flustered. I also prep and plan and never seem to follow my plan. Anyway we came home and I had to finish Dinner. (I am so glad we go back to 8:30 next year) I got the crusts out of the fridge and looked at the filling again, total applesauce! So, do I run to Fred's (my ox is in the mire!) or do I try to salvage it some how. Well, I like to think I am up for a challenge, so I got out 4 Gala apples I bought for eating and decided to add them for texture. That would work right? WRONG! I mixed everything together, adding extra cinnamon for Jayme, and add it to the pie crusts. Let me tell you about the crusts. YUCK. I have always made my crust right when I needed them, never chilled or frozen. So I was mortified at how they looked and they didn't work like usual either, to hard to handle. It was a complete patch work Job. But I got the mess assembled. The chicken rolls baking and the green beans on. whew! The dinner was fab! The pies baked as we ate and smelled good. But come time for dessert oops! I have apple soup, except for the galas that were hard as rocks! I was so sad. I really wanted Jayme to have the best dessert. So I scooped everyone plates of goop and Ice cream. They all smiled graciously and ate it. But I know it wasn't good because they didn't say much else. So I have lots of apple soup left over today! It has hardened up a bit but yuck. So I am off to Fred's today to buy granny smiths and I will make Jayme a new little pie today, cause she deserves it. And I have to redeem my self. Do I dare share my recipe! LOL! Just do it the same day and you'll get great results!

Apple Pie

for 1 pie
roll out a double crust,
use your favorite recipe or

2 cups flour
2/3 cup shortening
1 tsp salt
3-4 tbsp Ice water

Cut in the shortening until pea size crumbles. Then add the salt to the water and mix til dissolve. Add the the flour mixture as needed. Make a wetter, but not to wet dough. DO NOT over work. Divide and roll into to rounds.
fit one into the pie tin, sprinkle about 2 tbsp flour on the bottom before you put in the filling. (9 inch deep dish size)

4-5 granny smith apples (peeled, sliced thin, soaked in lemon Juice)
1/4 cup flour
1/2-1 cup sugar
1/4 cup butter (cut into little cubes)
1-3 tbsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp fresh grated nutmeg
a pinch of salt
( I like less sweet, less cinnamon in mine, the kids like more sweet, more cinnamon)

Mix everything gently and put into the pie shell. Put on the top crust and crimp the edges closed I then spread about 2-3 tbsp sugar on the top and cut vent slits. Bake the pie for 1 hour to 75 minutes. At 325* until very nicely golden.

I hope it work's for ya!

1 comment:

Bob and Julie said...

I LOVED your RS lesson! You do such a great job personalizing the lesson to our daily lives.

Boy, you had a lot going on. You never cease to amaze me!! Sooo....my question is...how do I become one of your kids?!?!? :)